A Guide to Crafting a Warm and Welcoming Outdoor Ambiance with Lighting
Ever wondered what sets a home apart from the rest in the neighborhood? Is it decoration, landscaping, or architecture? To create a stunning home in the real sense you need to make it look good at all times, be it during the day or at night. That is when you remember how exterior lighting enhances the look of your home. What’s more, it also makes your home safe and accentuates its features.
Here is how you can create a warm and welcoming with unique lighting ideas:
1. Create a focal frame and use lights judiciously
First, you need to choose lights within a focal frame to create a welcoming look. Let the lights guide people to your home and improve the exterior. However, exterior lighting should not only enhance the look of exteriors but the usage must be effective as well. While outdoor lighting needs to break the monotony of the exteriors, it must also make the garden pathways well-lit to make them visually appealing.
2. Light up the porch and patio
Does your house have a patio at the back, front porch, or both? Make the best use of these spaces with strategic lighting and illuminate these areas soon after the sun sets. With perfect lighting, you can turn the outdoor area into a livable area. A couple of overhead lights on the deck and patio create an excellent opportunity for entertainment. An excellent idea would be to double the patio or porch as an outdoor kitchen where you may install under-the-counter lights.
3. Focus on the architectural elements
Illuminating the driveways and the pathways is a common way of lighting the exteriors. However, if you want to showcase the beauty of your home truly, you need to change the approach to outdoor lighting. Choose accent lighting to highlight the architectural features strategically. That way, you can give your home a stunning visual impact. Here are a few options you can choose:
- One of the surprising techniques to accentuate outdoor lighting is washing the outdoor walls. Your house needs a simple wash to gently illuminate the exteriors. The cleaner the outdoor walls, the better it is to create a play of light and shadow, adding more dimension and depth to the façade.
- You can install lights on the statues and columns in a way to direct the illumination upwards.
- Focus on the architectural elements of your home with distinctive outdoor lights but make sure to light up the space uniformly. Apart from these uniform lights, you can focus on special features of the architectural style of your home and let them shine.
- Mature trees in your garden can also be counted as the focal point of your exteriors and create visual interest.
- Don’t ignore the water features like fountains or ponds with submersible lighting fixtures and create a mesmerizing effect.
4. Making the lights match
When installing lights in the outdoor area of your home, be sure to choose an option for illumination. Let the light fixtures harmonize and resonate with the overall aesthetics and style of your home. Find out whether the home design is traditional or modern or whether the location is by the sea or the mountain.
Installing outdoor lights is a strenuous task that takes up a lot of your time. That is why you should consult with a professional to eliminate frustration and the challenges associated with installation to make outdoor lighting more elegant and unique.